In this episode Stuart Lancaster joins Gordon MacLelland to discuss sports parenting, working with and engaging parents early in the process and creating great sporting environments for young people.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- His new role at Racing 92 announced just hours before the podcast was recorded
- A coaching career that encompassed so many different roles across different age groups and different levels
- Club rugby on a Sunday morning and helping develop coaches whilst supporting parents to support effectively
- Recognising that a lot of parents are hungry to learn and love being supported
- The importance of early parental engagement in helping to create healthy sporting environments
- Striking the sweet spot between development and winning
- The importance of multi-sport participation at a young age
- The black hole of sports participation post 18
- The importance of connection, purpose and belonging in keeping young people involved in sport
- The importance of developing effective sustainable sports systems
- Motivating young people by understanding their needs and motivations
Stuart Lancaster is the current senior coach at Leinster Rugby and will be joining Racing 92 as Director of Rugby at the end of this season.
He was formerly the England Head Coach from 2011-2015. Prior to that he held numerous positions which included coaching the England Saxons and leading the England U20 side to a Grand Slam and 3 finals in the IRB World Junior Championships.