In this episode director of coaching and performance at Setanta College Des Ryan joins Gordon MacLelland to discuss strength and conditioning for young athletes, how we can best support our children and dispels a few myths along the way.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- The strength and conditioning minefield for parents of young athletes
- The importance of regular activity (structured and unstructured)
- Early specialisation and a wider understanding of the debate
- Being aware and managing training routines alongside growth spurts
- Stories of great practise and outcomes at Arsenal Academy
- Improving speed and movement is possible for everyone
- The importance of individual values and discipline
- Hopes for the future for S & C coaches and how they may be able to benefit whole communities
Here are a number of the links that Des recommended during the podcast.
Des Ryan works for Setanta College as Director of Coaching & Performance. Des is one of the leading youth coaches and performance managers in sport and a world-renowned practitioner and speaker in the field of youth athletic development.
Des joined Setanta from his position as Head of Sport Medicine & Athletic Development at Arsenal Football Club Academy, a position he held for over 8 years where he re-shaped the concept of player development within the world of football.
He has also previously worked as Head of S&C at Connacht Rugby, S&C to Ireland and as Fitness Education Manager within the IRFU, where he spent over 13 years developing the IRFU’s coach and player development system.
Des has a Masters in Strength and Conditioning and is also an Accredited Strength and Conditioning coach with the UKSCA. He also has achieved the High Performance Sports Accreditation from the British Association of Sports and Exercise Science and is a chartered scientist.
Have you checked out our exclusive 'Members Area’. ?' Over 300 blogs, videos, infographics and resources to support organisations, coaches and parents.
A lot of this material has never been made available to parents and coaches before unless they are playing at elite level or playing professionally in the world of sport.
Sign up and become a member today, we look forward to welcoming you into the WWPIS community.