In this episode Clinical Psychologist, Emotional Fitness Consultant, speaker and author Dr Suzanne Brown joins Gordon MacLelland to discuss managing injury and recovery and how can we best support as parents at what can be a really challenging time for everyone.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- The challenge of injuries for parents and children
- Managing our own emotions and behaviours around our child’s injury
- Trying to reframe our mindset to see it as a positive opportunity
- Working collaboratively with our children and their clubs and coaches to create the best environment for rehabilitation
- Not rushing the process and keeping an eye on the bigger picture
- Supporting our children to use rehabilitation to focus on other areas of their sport
- Ensuring that our children’s programme is as varied as possible both in and out of sport
- Helping our children maintain a good routine during rehabilitation (e.g. sleep and nutrition)
Dr Suzanne Brown is a Clinical Psychologist, Emotional Fitness Consultant, speaker and author. She is pioneering a new approach to mental health and performance which began with the realisation that “you anywhere is you everywhere” and how the work you’ve been willing to do on your psychological tendencies and relationship patterns is directly related to the work you’re able to do in the world.