In this episode former professional cricketer Patrick Foster and Gordon MacLelland discuss the world of gambling and gaming and the addiction that almost brought an end to Patrick’s life.
Gambling and gaming is very much a topic that parents need to be aware of in an ever changing world so that they can monitor and help support their own children to ensure things do not spiral out of control. Patrick through his current work offers some valuable support and tips for parents.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- Living through 13 years of pathological gambling
- How gambling took hold at the most unexpected time
- Using gambling to escape the disappointment of being released from professional sport
- Hiding the secret from everyone
- Staking £2,000,000 pounds, having nearly 200 payday loans, mountains of debt and losing his home
- Last chance saloon – placing £50,000 on the Cheltenham Gold Cup and losing
- Failed suicide attempts
- Opening up, telling the truth and going into rehab
- Using the experience to now help support others
- The hidden dangers of early gambling activity within traditional computer games
- Gambling acting as a drug for competitive people
- The pain and hurt of lost time through addiction
- Parents putting firm time boundaries on children gaming whilst not excluding them
- Parents helping protect their children’s sleep
- Some of the key warning signs for parents to look out for
- The importance of parents acting on any concerns they may have
- The world of ‘Esports’ and the challenges of the huge number who want to become professional gamers
- Everyone playing their part in education, regulation and support
Have you checked out our exclusive 'Members Area’. ?' Over 300 blogs, videos, infographics and resources to support organisations, coaches and parents.
A lot of this material has never been made available to parents and coaches before unless they are playing at elite level or playing professionally in the world of sport.
Sign up and become a member today, we look forward to welcoming you into the WWPIS community.