In this episode gymnastics parent James Porter and Gordon MacLelland discuss the world of gymnastics and James’ experience of parenting three sons all involved in performance level gymnastics.
Here at WWPIS we recognise the importance of having these conversations with parents on the ground, who often share similar thoughts and feelings. This can often help us all reflect, manage and shape the environments that we create around our young people on their sporting journey.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- The power and influence of other siblings
- The positive influence of the gymnastics club in nurturing the children’s potential both in and out of the sport
- Managing levels of expectation and going with the flow
- Treating each child as an individual and understanding their motivations
- Harnessing positive relationships with the coach
- Ensuring that they remain parents and give the coaches the space to coach
- Managing the competition experience and having strategies as a parent to manage this
- Sibling rivalry
- The importance of enjoying the ride of the sports parenting journey and not getting too caught up on the destination
- Giving children the space to take ownership of their sporting journey
Have you checked out our exclusive 'Members Area’. ?' Over 300 blogs, videos, infographics and resources to support organisations, coaches and parents.
A lot of this material has never been made available to parents and coaches before unless they are playing at elite level or playing professionally in the world of sport.
Sign up and become a member today, we look forward to welcoming you into the WWPIS community.