In this episode Laura and Daniel Massaro and Gordon MacLelland discuss the world of squash and Laura’s rise to becoming world champion with her husband as the coach.
They also chat about sports parenting, philosophy and creating the right environments for young people today.
Both Laura and Daniel share their experiences from their sporting and professional journeys and we go into lots of detail discussing Daniels book ‘The Winning Parent.’
With a new arrival on the horizon in the Massaro household we also discuss with plenty of humour what their own approach to sports parenting is going to be.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- Bridging the gap from academia to practical application
- Ensuring that we learn from other’s sporting journeys but are able to put it into our own context
- The danger of over analysing our children’s sport and being sucked into the world of media and punditry
- The pressure on succeeding in the game because of all the sacrifices made by all involved in the process
- Evolving as a coach, maturing and changing perspective with age
- The importance of being able to ‘laugh at yourself, admit mistakes and not take things too seriously’
- Playing without a fear of failure and hating to lose
- ‘My rules are for me and your rules are for you’ and the importance of understanding yourself
- Setting healthy boundaries whilst also setting the time for playfulness
- Understanding hierarchy and respecting your elders
- Preparing for a new arrival to the household and some initial thoughts on their own sports parenting
If you have enjoyed the conversation and are fascinated by Laura and Daniel’s journey then don’t forget to check out their books including Laura’s latest release ‘All In’ and Daniel’s book for sports parents ‘The Winning Parent.’
Have you checked out our exclusive 'Members Area’. ?' Over 300 blogs, videos, infographics and resources to support organisations, coaches and parents.
A lot of this material has never been made available to parents and coaches before unless they are playing at elite level or playing professionally in the world of sport.
Sign up and become a member today, we look forward to welcoming you into the WWPIS community.