In this episode Gavin Grenville-Wood and Gordon MacLelland discuss sports parenting, the unique challenges that it provides as well as some elements around coaching and the importance of building positive relationships between coaches and parents.
Being the father of a professional golfer Gavin shares amazing insight into his journey with real life stories delivered with a good dose of realism and humour.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- Acknowledging that there is no such thing as being a perfect sports parent
- Life in lockdown
- Challenges of parental peer pressure
- Giving feedback in conversations inspired by our children
- Getting the timing right for crucial conversations
- The importance of parents and coaches being on the same page
- Parents recognising they have the privilege of having the most influential role
- Ensuring our children are intrinsically motivated and they truly want to play the sport
- The challenges of parenting sporting teenagers
- Learning and evolving throughout the journey together, finding out what works best for you and your children
- Being aware that our children will not be immune from failure and how we can handle those moments as parents