In this episode Gail Emms and Gordon MacLelland discuss sports parenting and the unique challenges that it provides. Gail provides plenty of humour as well as being very honest about her her own incredible sporting journey.
They both share what they have learnt so far, acknowledging how difficult the role is and
provide some golden advice for all sports parents.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- Hosting a lockdown sports quiz
- Keeping our children motivated during the lockdown periods
- Successful transitioning out of sport and pathway programmes
- Ensuring your child is happy and enjoying the sporting experience
- How parenting must always come first, not being a second coach or sports agent
- Providing parents with the support and opportunity for reflection, recognising we can not always be ‘perfect’
- Recognising that the youth sport experience is not the same as the ‘adult game’
- The enjoyment of being relaxed and chilled whilst watching our children play
- Helping our children take ownership of the sporting experience
Have you checked out our exclusive 'Members Area’. ?' Over 300 blogs, videos, infographics and resources to support organisations, coaches and parents.
A lot of this material has never been made available to parents and coaches before unless they are playing at elite level or playing professionally in the world of sport.
Sign up and become a member today, we look forward to welcoming you into the WWPIS community.