In this episode Kevin Mannion and Gordon MacLelland discuss sports parents and the role of clubs and coaches in helping to support parents through their sporting journey.
They discuss the importance of running an effective parental engagement programme and provide some support and advice for organisations, coaches and parents.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- The importance of hard work
- Helping parents understand the mental approach to professional sport
- Appreciating the small successes as part of any sporting journey
- Equipping players with key life skills to take ownership of their own development in a structured world
- Maximising time spent with the children whilst supporting others to live and breathe those messages for the rest of the week
- The importance of understanding everyones different contexts and backgrounds when implementing any programme
- Regularly revisiting different topics and not expecting success off one off discussions
- Creating environments for parents to have a voice and share ideas with each other
- Ensuring that all conversations are well crafted to ensure maximum engagement
- Finding creative ways of delivering impactful messages
- Making parents feel welcome and part of the whole process