In this episode Tanni Grey-Thompson DBE and Gordon MacLelland discuss sports parents and the role of clubs and coaches in helping to support parents through their sporting journey.
They share what they have learnt so far, acknowledging how difficult the role is and provide some support and guidance for all sports parents.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- The challenges of life during the lockdown period
- The importance of play and creating environments for this
- The positives of a multi-sport approach
- Duty of care in sport
- Having an open door policy and complete transparency between organisation, coach and parent
- How we sell the sporting journey to parents and children
- The importance of relationship building between clubs, coaches and parents
- Using the sporting journey to help equip our children with life skills
- Transitioning out of sport and the importance of education and having other interests
- Managing the pressure of expectation and ensuring our children are not being defined by their sporting performance
- How sports need parents and some of the key roles that parents can play
- Managing the ups and downs of being a sports parent