In this episode Scott Hann and Gordon MacLelland discuss sports parents and the role of clubs and coaches in helping to support parents through their sporting journey.
They discuss the importance of running an effective parental engagement programme and provide some support and advice for organisations, coaches and parents.
During the conversation they discuss amongst other things:
- The challenges of coaching during the lockdown period
- Giving parents a clearly defined role during the sporting journey
- Managing the challenges of puberty
- Having effective communication strategies in place between all stakeholders
- Having an open door policy and complete transparency between organisation, coach and parent
- The importance of using the sporting journey to equip our children with amazing life skills
- Recognising and managing ‘The Chimp’
- Including ‘parental engagement’ as part of coach education
- Having an organisational hierarchy to help support young coaches
You can hear more from Scott in our brand new product ‘Two Hats’ featuring advice, support and encouragement for all parent coaches including 23 interviews across 14 sports from leading figures in the sporting world.
“It is a great privilege to be part of this project alongside so many leading figures from across the sporting world covering such a wide range of sports. It is certainly enlightening seeing so many similarities across sports in terms of coaching your own child as well as some of the uniqueness that each sporting environment can provide.” Harry Redknapp