Here are our top tips to help an athlete avoid injury:
- Make sure the athlete is thoroughly screened first and that the subsequent injury prevention program designed is specific and individualised to the athlete.
- Understand that all elements of a strength and conditioning program are part of the injury prevention program. Athletes of all ages need to complete a balanced physical program.
- Choose the experts who deliver the injury prevention part of the program carefully. It is important that they have the skill and ability to design appropriate programs that meet the athlete’s needs and are above all else safe.
- Accept that injuries will occur and need to be dealt with calmly and in a systematic way, with good communication between all people surrounding the athlete.
- Understand that injury prevention work is part of an athlete’s daily routine. If you want to stay fit to play you need to set aside the time and effort on this area of the program.
AMS Copyright 2017